Monday, August 24, 2009

Monday August 24 - Language in Ohio and Illinois

I think at first the people in America are all very friendly and helpful.
I think that the people in Cincinnati and Chicago have very different dialects, and the people in Chicago, who don't know where we are from, spoke very fast, but they all spoke relative clearly.
I think in Germany it isn't like that! Mostly everybody speaks very unclearly. And I think the people in America don't use their hands very much when they speak. That is unlike than we in Germany do.
I really do not notice so many differences between how the English and German people speak, and I think that there are not really many cultural insights to learn from the language.
My English has changed in the way that I be more self-confident to speak English, and I can speak faster.
I hope it will be much better after the 3 weeks!

1 comment:

  1. I think you are right that Americans use their hands less than Germans do. Perhaps when you are able to observe more carefully, you will be able to see the important cultural differences that a person can learn from language usage. Germans and Americans have very different ways of expressing politeness. I am glad you are more confident about speaking English. This is very important.

    ReplyDelete